Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-28-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
"Fake" books on Amazon UK

Not sure, but this doesn't seem to be a problem on the dot com version of Amazon.

Take a look here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=ntt_at...rce%3A%20Wikia

Basically this is a list of "books" which use popular games and franchises in the title and package together information which seems to have been scraped off the internet.

Is there any point approaching Amazon.co.uk about this?

EDIT: needless to say don't buy anything from that link.

Last edited by dadioflex; 02-28-2012 at 07:43 AM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:46 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Approach them on what grounds? If the information comes from Wikipedia, they aren't doing anything illegal as long as they properly attribute the source.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2012, 08:13 AM   #3
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
I hear what you're saying, and you're right, though it would be nice if thisWAS made clear in the descption. Which it isn't. In fact the descriptions are nonsense. Here's what really bothers me - these titles come up quite frequently in searches. When a hundred other firms are doing this, polluting the search results, what do we do?

As I said, it doesn't appear to be a problem on amazon.com - so I was wondering if it was worth approaching the .co.uk to see if they could do whatever the .com has done, and bury them in the results down where they belong.

EDIT: Hmm, maybe there's a better way.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Harry-Potter...0434624&sr=1-2

Let Rowling's lawyers see what they think.

EDIT2: Nope. Apparently, after some background reading, they're wise to this. I still think amazon.co.uk could do more to bury the results, but I'll drop it. Delete the topic if you detest clutter the way I do.

Last edited by dadioflex; 02-28-2012 at 08:23 AM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
What's sad is how much they are charging for wiki-dumps. Seriously. The prices are like $30 for something I could whip together in a day. I'm probably jealous that they might actually be making some money off this, but I'm pretty disgusted by it as well. Illegal or not, it's just sleezy to me.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #5
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
What's sad is how much they are charging for wiki-dumps. Seriously. The prices are like $30 for something I could whip together in a day. I'm probably jealous that they might actually be making some money off this, but I'm pretty disgusted by it as well. Illegal or not, it's just sleezy to me.
They're paperbacks, so some of the cost will be for the printing, etc. They'll be designed for people who don't want to read online, but $30 to save a day's work doesn't sound like much to me.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some of the people who make this crap even come here and ask for conversion help with Calibre...

Then again anyone who buys this is an idiot and I'm not sure if making money off idiots is illegal... it's actually likely that most business models are based on it...
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #7
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Just a symptom of the copyright disease. How so you may ask? These materials aren't copyrighted?? That's a good question, without copyright no one would be able to sell anything and these ebook hooligans would no longer exist. At least that's the theory. They might still attempt to upload their garbage in the hopes that someone actually does find the info useful and click on the payment button inside the book but it's doubtful. I'm not sure if approaching Amazon about lobbying congress to end copyright would work but it's worth a shot I suppose.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:27 PM   #8
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Approach them on what grounds? If the information comes from Wikipedia, they aren't doing anything illegal as long as they properly attribute the source.
I could make a pretty good case for fraud, I think. It's not a copyright violation, at least if they attribute the source in the book, but it's trying to get people to pay for something that's essentially worthless. Now excuse me, I have a few more bridges to sell to tourists.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
Redcard
Addict
Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
I could make a pretty good case for fraud, I think. It's not a copyright violation, at least if they attribute the source in the book, but it's trying to get people to pay for something that's essentially worthless. Now excuse me, I have a few more bridges to sell to tourists.
There's a difference, though.

This information is likely licensed to be used as people see fit under the GFDL. You are more than welcome to sell things you are licensed to sell. I'd , however, make a comment in the review section if it bothers you, linking to the location of the texts.
Redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #10
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcard View Post
This information is likely licensed to be used as people see fit under the GFDL.
Yes, that covers the "no-copyright violation" part and is not a problem. It's the fact that they don't communicate with sufficient clarity that they are basically selling Wikipedia printouts turned into "books" on the cheap. This is not a problem with copyright as such.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #11
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
I had a quick look at some of the product descriptions and they all stated: "This book consists of articles from Wikia" or "This book consists of articles from Wikia or other free sources online". Sounds pretty clear to me.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:43 PM   #12
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Maybe a print copy has value for someone who will be away from an internet connection for awhile? Seems highly specialized, though.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #13
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^I've done that with some stuff. I just format it in word, use Caliber to convert it and presto, instant short stories and stuff to take with me.

While it's saving people some work, they still seem ridiculously expensive for something someone could print off the web for pennies an article. As P.T. Barnum said "...born every minute."
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:03 PM   #14
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Wikipedia provides the functionality to create these. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Books
It's a pretty neat way to package info. I've done it to have a few topics on my ereader, though I never considered selling them.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #15
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Thanks for pointing that out, I wasn't aware of that service/function at all!
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote