Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-28-2013, 05:00 AM   #1
Kiltas
Kiltas began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo mini
Kobo Mini screen fault

Hi,

Losing hope for my kobo mini's survival. Need some if any available. I was reading on my mini last night and flicked it to sleep mode then set it down on the bedside table. Upon waking this morning I picked it up to take to work and the bottom half of the screen was black. I switched it on and on all screens the bottom half of the display is blank. I tried a reset using a paperclip as on the kobo site. This restarted the device but the bottom of the screen was still not viewable. I managed to get into the settings and the touch option is still working so I was able to start a factory reset on the device. However the lower half of the screen is still blank. I can power it on and start the setup process but from the middle of the screen to the bottom the display is not functioning.

If anyone has any ideas or solutions it would be much appreciated. Emailed kobo help but not really got much hope.

Thanks
Kiltas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 05:02 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
A photo would be very helpful.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2013, 05:05 AM   #3
Kiltas

Pic as requested
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1385633097559.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	115876  
Old 11-28-2013, 05:05 AM   #4
Kiltas

Fingers crossed someone knows a fix.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:11 AM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the pic. The quality isn't ideal from here, but I can't see any starbursts or diagonal lines at all to indicate a broken glass substrate. Have a close look over it. If that line between the blank and the not-blank is completely straight and there are no other lines there, and you haven't opened the device, you should get a warranty replacement (assuming it's still in warranty). You'll need to send the photo to Kobo to arrange this.
Advert
Old 11-28-2013, 05:24 AM   #6
Kiltas

new pic without flash on. Its as if the bottom of screen has been cut off. Not opened it and the line is perfect straight across middle between ok and not ok. Will need to dig out box and check when I got it.

Last edited by Kiltas; 11-28-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:25 AM   #7
Kiltas

wow sorry its huge, used tapatalk to post it, just checking on web it looked ok.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:29 AM   #8
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

It's a good pic though - send that one to Kobo. If it's just out of warranty they _may_ decide to honour it; if not, it depends on consumer law in your country. Also if you bought it with a credit card the card company may have a fine-print clause that they double warranties of items bought with that card.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:33 AM   #9
Kiltas

it is either coming up for a year old or two years, Hoping one year. Hope i have receipt in box. Got it from WHSmith in UK
Old 11-28-2013, 05:36 AM   #10
Kiltas

Thanks for your help meeera, I will forward the picture to Kobo help and see where i get to.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:59 AM   #11
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Good luck and let us know how you get on. It does look like it should be something Kobo will consider a repair/replacement for. It's such a straight line could be some kind of software fault, it's clearly not a crack/fracture to the glass substrate which would have been screen damage and not something you'd be due a replacement/repair for.

[edit] you could go back and edit your post and put the image in spoiler tags so it isn't so huge!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:13 AM   #12
Kiltas

Got a quick way round it. Kobo app on my mobile! The reading shall not be stopped.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiltas View Post
new pic without flash on. Its as if the bottom of screen has been cut off. Not opened it and the line is perfect straight across middle between ok and not ok. Will need to dig out box and check when I got it.
I'd have to agree that it shows none of the usual symptoms of a broken substrate so, if it's still in warranty, you should be able to get a replacement. If you are lucky, Kobo may replace it even if it is out of warranty.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:39 AM   #14
Kiltas

Checked when I bought it. Was 10th nov 2012 guess year warranty is up
Old 11-29-2013, 05:51 AM   #15
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Bummer! But try and contact Kobo anyway.
Good luck to you
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote