Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-13-2016, 08:01 AM   #1
jindroush
Connoisseur
jindroush doesn't litterjindroush doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Question Metadata on device different to Calibre

I have Kindle Voyage. All my metadata in Calibre are perfect (ie. author name/surname in correct order, series filled in, everything with correct diacritics (using czech language which have many of those)).

I use one plugboard for connecting series names to book titles.

Sometimes, but only sometimes, this fails and the title displayed on Kindle is wrong. I can't find out the reason.

All the cases are stored as MOBI in Calibre, all have the unwanted metadata stored in them and on transfer, althought they're somehow changed by Calibre, the unwanted metadata are used by Kindle, not those wanted.
All of these have small 'DOC' displayed to the reading dots in the latest Voyage firmware, but not all which have DOC are these cases.

Why, and how can this be fixed?

Example:
This is mobi file in calibre run through ebook-meta.exe (unwanted)
Title : Husitská trilogie - 3 - Lux Perpetua
Author(s) : Sapkowski Andrzej

This is mobi file on the device (wanted)
Title : Husitská trilogie-003:Lux perpetua
Author(s) : Andrzej Sapkowski

But Kindle displays the original metadata... I also tried the binary editor and it seems that original file has one EXTH record, but these 'bad' have two of them, one good, one bad and Kindle displays the bad one.

Last edited by jindroush; 08-13-2016 at 08:47 AM.
jindroush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:46 AM   #2
jindroush
Connoisseur

I played with the files a little bit more by KindleUnpack and it seems the offending files are 'double' format mobi7/mobi8. The metadata are modified by calibre for mobi7:
<dc:title>Husitská trilogie-003:Lux perpetua</dc:title>
but are unchanged in mobi8 (epub?):
<dc:title>Husitská trilogie - 3 - Lux Perpetua</dc:title>
and it seems that Kindle for these files prefers mobi8 metadata...
Advert
Old 08-14-2016, 02:59 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Updating metadata in joint mobi files is not supported. Either use the KindleSplit plugin or convert them to azw3 first.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 03:46 AM   #4
jindroush
Connoisseur

Thx Kovid for the reply

could you please elaborate?
a) Are there any plans for it to be fixed someday?
b) If not, would it be possible to do that split automagically on upload to device?

For whatever reasons I want all files stored in Calibre to be the 'original', untouched ones.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:20 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No and no. Joint mobis are not original/untouched in any way, they are the output of a kindlegen or calibre conversion
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
metadata, mobi