Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 09-05-2016, 12:43 PM   #1
sbergstc
sbergstc began at the beginning.

Device: none
updating folder/file path on device

I was backing up the sd card from my Galaxy Tab and noticed some inconsistencies in the names of the books stored there...

I reloaded the sd card on the tablet and checked the path names of several books and found that even though the title and author were correctly updated on CC bookshelf, the path itself does not change (folder/file names); however, the path is updated within the Calibre library stored on the main computer.

I changed my mind how a title and/or author would read in Calibre for magazines to more accurately sort the monthly issues (i.e. Originally "Better Homes & Gardens 12 2016/Meredith Publishing" was changed to "BHG 2016 12/Meredith").

The only way I have found to force the correction on the device, is to delete and resend the book.

I thought this would happen automatically when metadata refreshes after the change and the device is connected, but apparently not. I guess path change is not part of "metadata" updating.

Is there a simpler way to than deleting/resending? If not, I doubt I'll go through the hassle of looking at hundreds of issues to see how they're stored on the card, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some simple setting or step.

Thanks,
SBerg
sbergstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:41 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbergstc View Post
The only way I have found to force the correction on the device, is to delete and resend the book.
This sounds correct to me.

Quote:
I thought this would happen automatically when metadata refreshes after the change and the device is connected, but apparently not. I guess path change is not part of "metadata" updating.
Again your observations are correct, metadata is updated not the underlying structure or names.

Quote:
Is there a simpler way to than deleting/resending? If not, I doubt I'll go through the hassle of looking at hundreds of issues to see how they're stored on the card, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some simple setting or step.
I may be proven wrong, but I don't believe you're missing anything.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2016, 04:54 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
As DoctorOhh said, updating metadata does not rename files.

However, and to add one bit of info: if you use CC's template instead of calibre's template when sending via the wireless device then CC can re-evaluate the template and rename the books when they are sent. In this case it is not necessary to delete the books first. "Solution 1" in the CC FAQ How do I get the same file names in CC no matter which connection I use? might help.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:37 PM   #4
sbergstc
sbergstc began at the beginning.

Device: none
OK... Thanks much for the info. I've not got experience with changing the templates, so I'll have to read through "solution 1." Hopefully it explains how to make the necessary template change...
sbergstc is offline   Reply With Quote