Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-06-2021, 10:51 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Paperwhite 2021 SE first impressions

The Paperwhite SE I ordered a month ago showed up somewhat unexpectedly today (I thought it was going to be tomorrow or Wednesday).

There is not much to say, other than it meets and exceeds my expectations:

- display quality is better than my PW4: seems sharper and not as blue-ish
- I’m surprised at how much I like the larger screen
- wireless charging works well
- nice to have auto-light adjust again (since my Voyage died)
- improved performance is very noticeable and welcome (switching books is about 4 times faster, for example)
- I like the ‘animated’ page turn
- supports 5GHz WiFi

I used the setup-with-Kindle-app method, which worked pretty well and I didn’t have to supply Amazon credentials or type in a WiFi password.

I tried the warm light but I don’t think I’ll be using it much. It seems to reduce perceived contrast and when reading in dark I prefer Dark Mode.

It updated right away to 5.14.1.1, thankfully. I’ve gotten thoroughly used to the new UI. The only-5-in-list-view thing doesn’t bother me at all. Looking forward to the further, previewed, changes, and hoping they restore TTS and maybe even Immersion Reading on these devices, given the somewhat greater computing resources.

Last edited by tomsem; 12-07-2021 at 11:44 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 12:52 AM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Looking forward to the further, previewed, changes, and hoping they restore TTS and maybe even Immersion Reading on these devices, given the somewhat greater computing resources.
The Oasis has had the faster processor for 4 years now without TTS or Immersion Reading.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2021, 01:48 AM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
The Oasis has had the faster processor for 4 years now without TTS or Immersion Reading.
And we had text to speech on Kindles 10 years ago. Hope dies last.

There are some string resources in recent update files with words ‘Text to Speech’, which may indicate they are working on such a feature. And while Speak Screen screen reader has been there for several years, it isn’t that pleasant to use unless you really need it. And SS/TTS should support some languages other than English.

Immersion Reading feature would make them more money via audiobook sales, even if playback just synchronized page turns without the highlighting one gets with the Kindle apps.

Last edited by tomsem; 12-07-2021 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-09-2021, 11:11 AM   #4
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
We won't get TTS because Amazon owns audible. This is why companies gobbling up other companies is bad for consumers
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 01:59 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
We won't get TTS because Amazon owns audible. This is why companies gobbling up other companies is bad for consumers
People keep saying this, but then by this reasoning, they should remove TTS from the Kindle app for Fire. And they acquired Audible before the first Kindle shipped, and several generations of Kindles supported both TTS and Audible.

Then we had Kindles without either TTS or Audible support, until they went ahead and added VoiceView screen reader to help settle a lawsuit. And finally Audible support went back in. But I’ve never listened to an audiobook on my Kindle, nor have I ever seen postings here from people who use this feature. This seems to suggest Audible support doesn’t really sell many audiobooks (but of course who knows other than Amazon).

Moreover Audible is overwhelmingly an English language business, and meaningless feature in non English speaking countries. TTS, if it were available in languages other than English (as on the Fire tablets) could help sell more Kindles in international markets.

And if they implemented Immersion Reading in some form on the Kindle, they could sell more audio books. (Or at least I would use my Kindle more)

I think it is more a question of priorities: Amazon (Lab126) cares much more about the Alexa platform than Kindle. It’s got a much higher growth potential and so Kindle development has languished in recent years. Any features they add incur cost to develop, test, maintain and support, and need some justification.

Last edited by tomsem; 12-09-2021 at 02:46 PM.
Advert
Old 12-10-2021, 04:58 PM   #6
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I think it is more a question of priorities: Amazon (Lab126) cares much more about the Alexa platform than Kindle. It’s got a much higher growth potential and so Kindle development has languished in recent years. Any features they add incur cost to develop, test, maintain and support, and need some justification.
This would be more convincing if they hadn't just landed a pile of invasive and really badly-thought-out changes to the user interface, something which as far as I know people had not been clamouring to change.

They've got time to do damage like that, but not apparently to do anything to make the thing measurablly better.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 07:48 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
This would be more convincing if they hadn't just landed a pile of invasive and really badly-thought-out changes to the user interface, something which as far as I know people had not been clamouring to change.

They've got time to do damage like that, but not apparently to do anything to make the thing measurablly better.
I happen to like the changes, overall. It’s impossible to make UI changes that everyone will like.

Last edited by tomsem; 12-10-2021 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-10-2021, 11:41 PM   #8
Gripweed
Enthusiast
Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: PW5-v11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post

as far as I know people had not been clamouring to change.
I didn't initially clamor for the change but now that I'm using it I think it works as well, if not better, as a UI than the past one. I really don't understand the hate that people are showing for it. If you stay away from Home (which I do) there are really only a few tiny differences from before and I dare say they are for the better. I have no idea what they were thinking when they came up with the Home concept but it is easily avoided.
Gripweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 08:06 AM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I don't like the new UI, but hate is too strong a word. Still, my Oasis stays in the airplane mode for now, as I sideload everything anyway. And frankly, I haven't even used the Oasis since I got my new Kobos, which I like more.

I'll buy a new Kindle only if Amazon releases a new Oasis with a 8" screen, buttons and the irregular shape of the current Oasis. If they don't, I'll just continue to use my Kobos and in that case it's no skin off my nose what they do with their UI.

As to wireless charging, TTS, auto-adjusting light... don't care about those.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 06:46 PM   #10
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I like mine. Kinda like the oasis without the buttons. I feel crazy for owning kindle, Kobo and nooks but i am out of 32GB storage on my kindle so i am buying on nook and KOBO more
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 07:24 AM   #11
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I like mine. Kinda like the oasis without the buttons. I feel crazy for owning kindle, Kobo and nooks but i am out of 32GB storage on my kindle so i am buying on nook and KOBO more
I think this thread has just revealed the reason for the semiconductor shortage: it's all mobileread, isn't it?
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 09:56 AM   #12
JJones64
JJones64 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
These are my thoughts after buying it not long too ago.

My first impression when I picked up the Kindle Paperwhite 5 was - oh, what a big screen. Admittedly, of course, 6.8″ is smaller than the 7″ on the Oasis I use every day, but that impression is compounded by the narrow bezels. And after several minutes of reading, I thought the PW5 would be a significant competitor to the Oasis. If one doesn't need the keys, the savings in buying the Paperwhite is noticeable.
JJones64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 11:39 AM   #13
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I am still debating if it is worth the cost to upgrade to the newest Paper White, I have the PaperWhite 4 and only read it when out from home, otherwise I read from the Fire Tablet HD10. The cost of the basic PaperWhite 5 s more than I paid for the Fire Tablet HD 10 2021.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 12:30 PM   #14
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
The new Paperwhite might induce you to use it at home, as well as while you're away.

I bought the basic Paperwhite and it's the best e-reader I've ever owned, and I might have owned 20 or so. For me, it ticks all the boxes. It has a beautifully lit screen that's quick to respond to page turns and the best battery life I've experienced on an e-reader.

The font ramp works well with the new device, too, so it's about perfect for me.

I bought a Libra 2 at about the same time, and I spend all my reading time with the Kindle.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 02:07 PM   #15
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Thank you have the Kindle PaperWhite 2018 model, and the Kindle basic, I decided to trade in both and go for the PaperWhite 2021 basic model with cover and power adapter. I will have everything but the power adapter before Christmas just in time for my trip to see my kids.

Last edited by cvkemp; 12-19-2021 at 02:13 PM.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote