Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-24-2023, 12:40 PM   #1
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Convert OVerDrive Read in browser for Kindle

As some of you may be aware, Amazon is in the process of discontinuing magazine subscriptions. It appears that next month the only access to magazines on Amazon will be via Kindle Unlimited.

I am looking for an alternative to this and I find that my local library does offer magazines, but they are only available through OverDrive Read in my browser or via their Libby app. This is NOT the way I want to read my magazines. I have for years been using my Kindle for this along with ebooks.

Is there a way for Calibre to be used to convert the OverDrive Read URL to an .azw3 format I can load on my Kindle?

For example, here is the URL for the current Reader's Digest:

https://ppld.overdrive.com/media/dow...drive/10081316

I imagine only those with an account at my library can access this. When I click it it forwards to another URL:

https://ofs-c69dd496a331f92d0f249799...BTorF9zBu4v4uA

Is there a way to download a magazine using Calibre or another tool such as curl or wget in a form that Calibre can then work with to convert to an .azw3 file?

Can this be done somehow?

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 01:58 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Stealing content from Overdrive is not something that you will get help with on Mobileread.

Besides, KU is a good deal for magazine subscriptions.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2023, 02:31 PM   #3
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Stealing content from Overdrive is not something that you will get help with on Mobileread.

Besides, KU is a good deal for magazine subscriptions.
Converting content to read on a Kindle is not stealing. The library does not even count magazine loans against my limit for borrowed materials, so I can renew my loan as necessary until I have a chance to finish reading one.

If you think KU is such a good deal when will you pay for mine?

Dave
Old 08-24-2023, 02:51 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
Converting content to read on a Kindle is not stealing. The library does not even count magazine loans against my limit for borrowed materials, so I can renew my loan as necessary until I have a chance to finish reading one.

If you think KU is such a good deal when will you pay for mine?

Dave
For me, it's an ethical dilemma. I agree with Apprentice's Alf and Harper that removing DRM from borrowed material is not something to support. This can lead to someone downloading library loans and then keeping them after the loan has expired. OTOH, for a Kindle user outside the USA and Kindle users inside the USA who lack access to library materials in a Kindle format, removing DRM from an epub download to convert it to a Kindle format is almost a necessity.

In your case, even this option is not available unless the periodical is available for download from the library page. My testing with my local libraries matched what you mentioned about either using your browser or the Libby app to read the magazine.

As for the value/cost for KU? That's your problem not mine.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 03:17 PM   #5
dhdurgee
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For me, it's an ethical dilemma. I agree with Apprentice's Alf and Harper that removing DRM from borrowed material is not something to support. This can lead to someone downloading library loans and then keeping them after the loan has expired. OTOH, for a Kindle user outside the USA and Kindle users inside the USA who lack access to library materials in a Kindle format, removing DRM from an epub download to convert it to a Kindle format is almost a necessity.

In your case, even this option is not available unless the periodical is available for download from the library page. My testing with my local libraries matched what you mentioned about either using your browser or the Libby app to read the magazine.

As for the value/cost for KU? That's your problem not mine.
I contacted OverDrive support about the situation and received the following response:

Quote:
I have contacted the developers to support a feature that would allow magazines to be delivered to Kindle. While I can't guarantee that this feature will be implemented, you may see it appear in a future update.
This was of course after a restatement of the current situation. I am glad to hear that at least they may be considering adding Kindle support.

I might wind up with KU yet, but I intend to exhaust my other options first. I have heard that KU is not a good deal for writers and would thus prefer not to support Amazon in taking advantage of them.

Dave
Advert
Old 08-24-2023, 03:34 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I might wind up with KU yet, but I intend to exhaust my other options first. I have heard that KU is not a good deal for writers and would thus prefer not to support Amazon in taking advantage of them.
Good to hear that Overdrive is looking at implementing that feature.

KU was a decent deal for writers but mainly due to the proliferation of junk books and reader farms, the income for the average author has dropped quite a bit. Several authors I've heard from are looking at going wide, implementing their own book stores, Patreon, etc. in an attempt to be able to continue to afford to write.

I did read an item that mentioned Amazon is looking into the situation and may be doing some tweaking to the algorithms they use to remove "readers" that read a limited set of authors and are reading multiple books per day 7/365. Sadly, that item was edited to remove that comment. I wondered if someone was under an NDA or someone was talking out their butt. Either seemed possible.
Old 08-26-2023, 01:05 PM   #7
dhdurgee
Guru

I took a quick look at the information in the browser while looking at the Reader's Digest noted above. I found that OverDrive was presenting page images in jpeg format in this case. I don't know if this is true of all their magazines, but if so conversion to azw3 format would be a challenge. I seem to recall that the Kindle does support two image based formats, but obviously text search and many other features would not work.

I hope they do decide to offer Kindle support in the future. Perhaps given Amazon's decision to discontinue offering magazine subscriptions they might see enough demand for another format to make it worth their while.

Dave
Old 08-26-2023, 03:08 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I took a quick look at the information in the browser while looking at the Reader's Digest noted above. I found that OverDrive was presenting page images in jpeg format in this case. I don't know if this is true of all their magazines, but if so conversion to azw3 format would be a challenge. I seem to recall that the Kindle does support two image based formats, but obviously text search and many other features would not work.

I hope they do decide to offer Kindle support in the future. Perhaps given Amazon's decision to discontinue offering magazine subscriptions they might see enough demand for another format to make it worth their while.

Dave
Amazon now offers magazines via Kindle Unlimited. So if there are magazines that you want and Amazon offers them via KU, I suggest getting a KU subscription. The thing is that magazines via Overdrive are not going to be every issue.
Old 08-27-2023, 03:55 PM   #9
dhdurgee
Guru

It appears there is a workable temporary solution available until such time as OverDrive offers magazines in Kindle format. There is a Calibre plugin for Libby by OverDrive that will support magazines available in that app. You can find out more about this here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=354816

I hope this is helpful to anyone else seeking to read magazines on the Kindle without KU .

Dave
Old 08-27-2023, 06:59 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

This is not a workable solution. It's out and out theft.
Old 08-27-2023, 08:52 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This is not a workable solution. It's out and out theft.
Jon, Jon, Jon... I know that you have posted in that plugin's thread but have you ever used or even looked at that plugin? The first message in the thread states:
  • Import the .acsm file for EPUB/PDF(DRM) book loans
  • Import the .epub file for EPUB (open) book loans
  • Import the .epub file for Magazines loans

It will not work for books/magazines that are only readable in your browser or the Libby app. You won't even see those loans unless you enable showing titles without a downloadable format.