Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-16-2023, 01:07 AM   #1
seanos
Zealot
seanos began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Aura H2O, LG V20
Feature request? Sharing clips between Sigil & PageEdit

I don’t use PageEdit that much, but was a bit surprised when I couldn’t see my clips. I’ve since symlinked ~/.local/share/sigil-ebook/sigil/sigil_clips.ini to ~/.local/share/sigil-ebook/pageedit/clips.ini, but I wonder if it would be worth including a way of doing this into one of the programs.
seanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 01:23 AM   #2
seanos
Zealot

Oops! Looks like this was a bad idea. PageEdit must use older code for clips as they are now all corrupted in Sigil (even though I haven’t edited any of them in PageEdit).

Depressing. Some of them were old clips I’ve never cleared out that were corrupted by Sigil years ago, now doubly so.

Is there any automated way to undo this?

Last edited by seanos; 09-16-2023 at 01:34 AM.
Advert
Old 09-16-2023, 03:01 AM   #3
seanos
Zealot

This gets worse and worse. I’ve been fixing these one by one, but some require opening other documents to find what the original clip was. Even though I’ve hit Save in the Clips Editor, every time another instance of Sigil is started the clips file seems to revert. I’m guessing this means that ‘save’ doesn’t mean ‘save’ until you close Sigil?
Old 09-16-2023, 03:07 AM   #4
seanos
Zealot

Now it seems I can’t even name or rename a clip. Nope, just clip names can’t contain /.

Last edited by seanos; 09-16-2023 at 03:09 AM.
Old 09-16-2023, 08:59 AM   #5
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
PageEdit just added clip support but it is important to note that most Sigil clips that impact html tags can not be used in PageEdit since PageEdit is live editing the DOM tree. So it makes no sense to use the same clips in PageEdit as you use in Sigil. That is why it created its own clips file.

So I strongly recommend removing that link you created and not try to use tag oriented clips in PageEdit.

Also for Sigil when built with Qt6 the ini file names changed to prevent corruption.

Slash is used for setting clip groups and must be escaped otherwise. Hand editing the clips ini file is a recipe for disaster. That is why the clips editor is provided.

It seems you created you own mess.

So this feature request will not be added as it is simply not a good idea.

Last edited by KevinH; 09-16-2023 at 10:45 AM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2023, 02:31 AM   #6
seanos
Zealot

Yes, I created my own mess and it ruined my day.

I’m not suggesting editing the clips.ini is a good idea, but having it in an intelligible format would make it easier to debug when things go wrong. A format like “Name=Sengo\xed\xad\x64\x65lc/IPA” for “Name=Sengoídelc/IPA” is not easy to parse.

I did search for some documentation, but it seems like clips in PageEdit is too new. After experimenting with it a bit, I’m not a lot clearer on what it can and can’t do in comparison with Sigil. The example clips are exactly the same as the Sigil ones.

I’d just say that from the end-user perspective, it doesn’t seem totally unreasonable for there to be some amount of commonality between clips in Sigil and PageEdit, in how they work or interoperability. If this will never be true, it means I probably won’t use clips in PageEdit, which…is not a tragedy.
Old 09-17-2023, 08:57 AM   #7
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
It will never be true. You can stop using whatever you want whenever you want.

Just like I can personally stop responding to your questions any time I want. And so can everyone else here.

PageEdit is not going to be integrated any more into Sigil as it is limited by design and most of those limitations are not under our control. Spending more effort on it makes no sense.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote